Tuesday, September 24, 2013

F // Redneck Crazy // Tyler Farr

My rubric is still an experiment. What about songs that threaten or harass women? Is that an extension of women as not having power or is it a whole new category? This guy shows up driving wildly at 3am, parks his truck on her lawn, gets drunk, shines his lights into her bedroom, and won't let her sleep. I'd call that intimidation, and I'd call the cops. I understand that the video tries to make light of the situation the lyrics are describing, but I'd call that cowardly not facing the reality. Maybe execs realized a video of their star being "redneck crazy" wouldn't fly, so they just went with redneck silly.
  • Women as disempowered. 
    • I'm gonna aim my headlights into your bedroom windows
      Throw empty beer cans at both of your shadows
      I didn't come here to start a fight, but I'm up for anything tonight
      You know you broke the wrong heart baby, and drove me redneck crazy
      Redneck crazy

      Did you think I'd wish you both the best, endless love and happiness
      You know that's just not the kind of man I am
      I'm the kind that shows up at your house at 3am
  • Woman in relation to man
    • Wish I knew how long it's been going on / How long you've been getting some on the side / Nah, he can't amount to much by the look of that little truck / Well he wont be getting any sleep tonight
    • No name calling
    • Woman not objectified

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please feel free to disagree! But name calling, objectifying, and offensive comments, as well as spam, will not be approved.