Tuesday, September 10, 2013

B- // Summertime Sadness // Lana Del Ray & Cedric Gervais

I decided not to include music videos in the scope of my reviews, but I do listen to the song on youtube. This is one time where the video threw me for a loop.

  • Normally, this song would get hit for being about women in relationship to a man. It is a very nice love song. 
    • Kiss me hard before you go // Summertime sadness // I just wanted you to know // That, baby, you're the best
But the video flips the context and makes it a love song to a woman. Which begs a few questions that have been on my mind. When a lyric refers to love, should I assume that it's hetero-normative? If it is still about relationship, but not specifically to a man, is that still potentially damaging or objectifying in its own way? Is playing toward lesbian good or bad for actual lesbians? See, this starts to get thorny. 


  • Could be seen as slightly objectifying at first glance, but seems more descriptive of a style than of a body, and it doesn't lead to being objectified--just to dancing and feeling alive
    • "I got my red dress on tonight// Dancing in the dark in the pale moonlight // Done my hair up real big beauty queen style // High heels off, I'm feeling alive"
  • No name calling
  • Unclear if women as empowered
    • "Honey, I'm on fire, I feel it everywhere // Nothing scares me anymore"
Is not being scared empowering or is it numbing/giving up? The song is up to many interpretations. I've read it's about bipolar, LSD, a dead or dying lover, a friend, a fling, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to disagree! But name calling, objectifying, and offensive comments, as well as spam, will not be approved.