Tuesday, September 10, 2013

B+ // Applause // Lady Gaga

Applause requires a rather heady review.

  • The question is is it empowering or not? Is the fact that she "lives for the applause" and others' validation of a weakness that she is admitting or a strength and a brag because she is so good at commanding applause?
    • Gaga is crushing her critics:
      • "I've overheard your theory "Nostalgia's for geeks // I guess sir, if you say so, some of us just like to read"
    • demanding and getting what she wants 
      • "Give me that thing that I love // I'll turn the lights off! // Put your hands up, make 'em touch // Make it real loud!"
    • But even she is depicting herself as dependent on/addicted to fame
      • "If only fame had an IV, baby could I bear // Being away from you, I found the vein, put it in here"
  • No name-calling
  • Not objectifying
  • Not in relation to a man! 

I happen to like the complexity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to disagree! But name calling, objectifying, and offensive comments, as well as spam, will not be approved.