Monday, April 28, 2014

B- // Not A Bad Thing // Justin Timberlake

JT, what a crooner, right? It's hard to make a feminist love song. Let's take a stab at this one:


  • The first good news is that there's no objectifying. There's no "I want you because you're pretty." Nice!
  • And other than Justin references himself as "that guy", there seems to be a possibly conscious choice to keep gender out of the song. people, someone, and baby are gender-neutral. So although this song is likely written as women in relation to man, I will give it some cred for not making it obviously so.
    • I know people make promises all the time
      Then they turn right around and break them
      When someone cuts your heart open with a knife and you're bleeding
      But I could be that guy to heal it over time
      And I won't stop until you believe it
      'Cause baby you're worth it
  • There's some self-consciously silly stuff in here. He fantasizes about saving her from her troubles, but at the same time acknowledges that he can't.
    • If I had a pair of wings
      I'd scoop you up we'd fly away and disappear
      Then you could put your worries upon my shoulders, my dear
      And I know I can't save you
      From the troubles of the world
      I know this sounds like such a silly thing

      But if I could I'd fly you away
      On a big old pair of wings
         He seems to respect her. But is that enough to be empowering? I think not. Still, I also don't think it's disempowering. Pretty neutral on this one.
    • No I won't fill your mind with broken promises
      And wasted time
      And if you fall
      You'll always land right in these arms
      These arms of mine
  • No name calling


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to disagree! But name calling, objectifying, and offensive comments, as well as spam, will not be approved.