Sunday, February 16, 2014

B // All of Me // John Legend

I wish I liked this song more. Maybe I'll enjoy a good remix. Regardless of this, Legend is a champ, and it's a huge relief.

let's look at some of the ways he describes his woman:

  • smart mouth
  • beautiful mind
  • I can't pin you down
  • Love your curves and all your edges
    All your perfect imperfections
  • Even when you're crying you're beautiful
  • You're my downfall, you're my muse
    My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues
  • You're crazy and I'm out of my mind (usually I am hard against calling women crazy, but it seems pretty mutual)
And how he describes their relationship:
  • Cards on the table, we're both showing hearts
    Risking it all, though it's hard
  • The world is beating you down, I'm around through every mood
  • You're my end and my beginning
    Even when I lose I'm winning
    Cause I give you all of me
    And you give me all of you
That is some good love song right there. It doesn't objectify her, he cant "pin her down", he's asking for them to be their honest full self with each other. 

But of course one downfall about love songs is that they are usually woman in relation to a man. Check.

And the difficult question is: does this empower women? Being appreciated for who we are is great, but does it give us power, autonomy, influence, freedom? I'm not sure it does.

It's a question I will probably wrestle with again later, but for now these doubts about love songs is what will keep this nice one at a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to disagree! But name calling, objectifying, and offensive comments, as well as spam, will not be approved.