Sunday, January 19, 2014

C // Stay The Night // Zedd ft. Hayley Williams

"...it's about a breakup and about a couple spending their last night together although they both know it's not the right thing"  

It's actually unclear to me who wrote the lyrics. Zedd (Zaslavski) wrote the song, initially intending to have a male singer, but then sent it to Williams. She says she loved it and wanted to make sure it had words she wanted to sing. It's also unclear what singer/songwriter Carah Faye's credit is doing on the song. 

It only matters when we're trying to consider whether the song empowers women. I guess in this haze of who wrote what, it should be considered as gender-neutral. Therefore:


  • Neither empowers nor disempowers women
  • No name calling
  • No real objectification
    • I am fire gasoline, 
      Come pour yourself all over me
      We'll let this place go down in flames only one more time

      You kill the lights, I'll draw the blinds
      Don't dull the sparkle in your eyes
      I know that we were made to break
      So what? I don't mind
  • Women in relation to man, if assuming heteronormativity, which is not specified. 
I'm basically going to give it the not about women grade of average. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to disagree! But name calling, objectifying, and offensive comments, as well as spam, will not be approved.